Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Whimsy Wednesday! Myths & Legends!

Hello Everyone and welcome to Whimsy Wednesday!
I hope everyone's day is as warm and sunny as mine has been!!
I've seen dragonflies and bumblebees and all sorts of outside creatures appreciating the warmer temps and excellent sunshine!

I've taken inspiration from ancient myths and legends lately and this is what I have to show you today!
The first pair of earrings was inspired by the labyrinth charm and hand-felted wool ball that you'll see shortly. As I was gathering materials for other creations, my eye fell on these two items and it recalled to mind the myth of Theseus slaying the Minotaur in the labyrinth and finding his way out of the cleverly confusing maze by following a ball of yarn that a love-struck Ariadne had given him along with the secrets of the maze. (You can learn more about the legend here). And now you see the connection with the brilliant Swarovski heart. I chose the mysterious blue for many reasons, not the least of which is that many a Greek (as well as other legends) revolve or involve the sea. And, continuing to expand this inspiration to mythology in general, I included an ancient-looking gold coin. It is told in many of the legends how the hero bought their way out of a hopeless situation with gold or put themselves in harm's way for it! However, there is much more here than meets the eye as the title popped to mind immediately. We must consider Ariadne's point of view as well as others whose stories are not included in the legends. And so these earrings are about:
Unraveling the Mysteries of the Heart
Ingredients: Swarovski crystal, hand-felted wool ball (England), copper wire, lead-free pewter, metal, sterling silver earwires.



The whimsy is in the design for this second pair of earrings as well.. I had a lot of fun playing with wire-wrapping the cobalt drops because, while they are luscious, how could you leave them unadorned?!
Title: Untitled as yet...(Edited for title: Trace Elements)
Ingredients: Glass, copper wire, lead-free pewter, silver-plated surgical steel earwires.



To me, these are intense and ancient and galactic and just plain awesome!
Look for them in my Etsy shoppe within a few days...pending a title for the second pair! (Editied for time... These will be up in my Etsy shoppe on Monday (if they are still seeking their people) as they are coming to the show with me this weekend!)
See you on Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment