Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Whimsy Wednesday! Out of the Cocoon!

Hello Everyone! 
Welcome to Whimsy Wednesday! 
I hope your week has been full of good cheer so far! 
Like many people, I'm turning my thoughts towards Spring and my first show of this year! 
The title of the show is Burst Into Spring, organized by Master Gardeners, and I'm taking that as inspiration for a new batch of creations! 
Let me show you the start of it! 
Title: The Joys of Flight Ingredients: hand-carved and painted wood dragonflies, anodized aluminum, repurposed acrylic butterflies, sterling silver. The hand-painted wooden pieces in these and the necklace I'll show you in a moment are repurposed. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them and knew I had to play with them! I love the colours, the textures, everything!! The idea was to update them with punches of colour. The green jumprings are woven in a mobius-strip pattern and bring out the verdant shades of the leaves behind the dragonfly. The lilac-coloured butterfly softens the colour palette and adds interest and becomes a companion to our dragonfly! These are so lively!!! 

Title: As Yet Unknown 
Ingredients: hand-carved and painted wood dragonflies, hand-dyed fibers (USA), anodized aluminum, Swarovski crystals, sterling silver, lead-free pewter clasp.
Everything that was mentioned above for those fabulous dragonflies holds for this beautiful wooden Monarch butterfly! 
The anodized aluminum is woven in the same chain maille style and the colour themes are along the same lines. The gorgeous fibers that comprise most of the necklace are hand-dyed from an artist in Idaho. 
The tiny butterflies seen here are Swarovski crystals to give a bit of sparkle and additional texture! Also! It is rare to see just one butterfly and so our Monarch gets companions, too! 
This necklace is especially long, roughly 32 inches, as I wanted to give the option of draping and tying it as a scarf. The pretty and petite clasp (with another sparkly butterfly!) will weight the ends and hang beautifully down the back! I've included a view of that lovely, lovely clasp!  
All in all, a post filled with whimsy, wings and definitely a coming out of Winter cocoon! 
My first show of this year, as I previously mentioned, is Burst Into Spring! 
It is in Cambridge, MN, USA and details are here
It would be grand to see you there! 
In the meantime, I'll see you Friday! 
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment