Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whimsy Wednesday!!

Hello!
Today's Whimsy Wednesday is going to be a little different! It is going to be a two-part blog post, with the second entry capturing the finished creation for Fini Friday!

Today I was playing with cord and beads that I purchased some time ago with a particular idea in mind and find that all is now in order to finish the design! I am still enchanted with the idea that these particular materials sparked. Let me show you:


The glass beads are very organic, hand-made beads from India and I loved the raw textures, including the speck of material that mixed in with the glass while it was fired in the bead to the right. See it?
They reminded me of ocean glass. Paired with the copper rubber cord, which reminded me of well-worn drift wood, or perhaps the wood of an antique treasure chest.... However, and here is where the whimsy comes in, the two things I delighted me the most is that because the beads are both translucent and fit over the cord, they can slide freely AND that beautiful copper colour is visible through those ethereal beads!
See? Here is a photo with more cord showing between the beads...


And so both to wrap this up and set a little intrigue for the next post, I'll give you a sneak peek at the next step towards the finished creation...


You've seen that popcap pendant before in my previous Whimsy Wednesday post experimenting with colored resin.
The popcap is a perfect match for the peach glass beads and the green glass brings out the sparkling green and blue resin! I can't wait to show you what it has grown into on Friday!
See you then!

2 comments:

  1. Sprite - Can you tell me what/how you got the luminous look in the resin? It is so even and beautiful! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello cockAroach!
    Thanks so much for the compliment on the resin!
    I know!! Isn't that color and sparkle fabulous??!

    I used Pearl Ex powdered pigment (Blue-Green) - you can find it at several online stores (I purchased mine at FusionBeads.com) and probably a bead shop in your area.

    Just mix up the resin, then stirring in little bits of the pigment until you've got the color you want. I recommend adding little bits because it always easier to mix in more color than to try to lighten a color, it seems.
    :)

    ReplyDelete