Friday, June 29, 2012

Fini Friday! Molds, Keys and Treasure Bottles!

Hello Everyone!
Welcome to Fini Friday!
I've been having fun with creating with resin and I'll show you what I've been up to!
Last Friday I blogged about making molds from old keys.  Today I'll show you the first prototype from those molds!
The coloured resin keys on the top right.  I think these are good first attempts.  As you can see, however, the larger of the keys will need some cleaning up and may need to be mounted in some way so as to be more durable.  The smaller key and mold required little clean-up and will make good pendants. 
I also spent some time with a good friend and fabulous costumer this weekend who was gracious enough to share his mold-making skills and expertise with me.  I have a few new techniques to try in both creating new and better molds and creating molds that will allow my resin creations to become three-dimensional!  YAAY!! Stay tuned for that!
This next series of photos are Treasure Bottles that I've been creating over the space of a few weeks.  The final bottles have three layers of hand-coloured resin in them!  The photograph on the left is at the finish of the second pouring or layer of resin! That's how I am able to give the look of the various materials being suspended in glittery water or air or etc.! 
What is in there?  As of the second pouring; a goldstone star, a wrench charm, and Fire Opals!  The bottle on the left also includes a bead shaped like an orange!

The photograph on the right includes the third and final resin layer, which includes a pearl for each bottle.  The bottle on the left includes a shell, while the bottle on the right contains a tiiiny, little pinecone (yup! a real shell and pinecone!)!
I also painted on a bit of the (non-toxic) resin on and around the cork for each bottle and they are secured with star-shaped silver spacer beads above and below the cork!  These really should be quite durable!  The metal is sterling silver.

So, there you have it!  A little of what I've been up to in the studio this week!
Just FYI, I'll be combining Whimsy Wednesday and Fini Friday next week as I'll be at CONvergence most of the week!
Maybe I'll see some of you there!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment